The 365 Day Challenge

My goal is to create something every day using something from my craft cupboard. I am a self-confessed fabric addict and just love to fossick through thrift shops and find treasures.

So here goes. Live, love, recycle and get crafting.



Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Day 288 - Beach Tote


Today I have made a tote bag from a skirt I made a couple of years ago when I started sewing a bit. The way I did the panel was by using iron on applique and then sewing it to the base fabric, but it never sat the way I wanted it too. The iron on stuff was too stiff and I really should have just sewn the fabric as a panel. Live and learn.

Here's the skirt.

First I cut it down the two side seams.


I then cut the pockets off some old jeans.


These became external pockets on the bag. I sewed them to the plain side of the skirt. (The back) And sewed up the sides and bottom of the bag.

I found some gingham scraps in one of my craft tubs to use as a bag lining. I had to join a couple of pieces together but since it will be on the inside I didn't mind having a seam.

I added two more old jeans pockets to the lining. I can't stand foraging in my bag all the time for my mobile phone and keys. Conveniently these also had a little pocket that fits a pen. Again I sewed the sides and bottom, tracing the size from the bag outer I had already made.


Then I put the lining inside the bag.The bag is right side out and the lining is inside out.

I use the method of pressing an inch or so of fabric under at the top of each bag and sandwiching the handle in between the layers before top stitching around the entire top of the bag. In my case I decided to use the waistband of the skirt as the handle so it has a bit of a frayed look from where I cut it off the skirt.


Here's my bag.

 Lining.

I'm ready for the beach now. If only it wasn't 200km away. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment