The 365 Day Challenge

My goal is to create something every day using something from my craft cupboard. I am a self-confessed fabric addict and just love to fossick through thrift shops and find treasures.

So here goes. Live, love, recycle and get crafting.



Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Day 351 - A little shelf


My Nan died in the early hours of this morning. 93 years old, with 5 children, 25 grandchildren, 50 great grand children and 4 great, great grandchildren. She immigrated to Australia in 1927 from Ireland with her family on the long boat trip.

I drove to Melbourne this morning to spend the day at her house with family members. She was very fortunate to be able to live on her own and take care of herself until two weeks ago when she had both a stroke and a heart attack. She was also very lucky to have a life so rich in love and be surrounded by loving family members in her last days. She will be missed dearly, but what a beautiful life.

Never one for material possessions, she knew the true value of family, and her house was always a meeting place for my cousins and I, and also for the families of her brother's and sisters. We will miss her as a link that bound us, and as a constant figure in our lives. Goodbye my Nan, love you long time, love you always, and glad to know you are at peace.

A memorial tree we planted for her in our garden, a flowering gum.


At our wedding.

Nanny and I many years ago.

With my cousins today seeing how many we could fit into her outside toilet. She would never have allowed it :-).

I made a little nook in my craft room. Using some brackets and a book for the shelf, and lining a recycled toy box with some yellow felt.





2 comments:

  1. Sharon, I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear Nan. (((((SHARON)))))

    On a brighter note, you were a beautiful bride!

    And, the little nook you made is adorable.

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feeling rather sad today. Thankyou for your kind thoughts Joyce. And lovely compliment. The vintage of the fabric and tins does remind me of my Nan.

    ReplyDelete