The 365 Day Challenge

My goal is to create something every day using something from my craft cupboard. I am a self-confessed fabric addict and just love to fossick through thrift shops and find treasures.

So here goes. Live, love, recycle and get crafting.



Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Day 149 - Vintage dress revamped.


I am going to a wedding on the weekend and although I had originally planned to splurge on a new dress for myself, I found that everything in the shops at the moment is just too short. Perhaps if I were 15 years younger....From here an idea sprung.

I bought this vintage dress many years ago when I was at university, for a fancy dress party where my flatmate and I went dressed as 1950's housewives. It's been worn a couple of times since for other fancy dress parties but has otherwise sat in my cupboard. I don't like to get rid of my vintage items and this one was handmade and fabric of this quality is hard to find these days.

I love the shape of the dress but the leaves were very bold and the sleeves and neckline a bit frumpy. The belt wasn't really me either.


Closer look at the neckline. It's high and bulky.


I wanted to decrease the boldness of the leaves, so I dyed the dress green first. Although the colour didn't come out anything like the one on the dye packet I am happy with the result and extremely happy with the new neckline and sleeves. I cut off the collar and turned the neck under to lower the neckline, and cut a few inches from the sleeves. Just minor alterations really, but what was relegated to the dress-up box is now something I can wear out.

 It fits like a glove and I feel very much like a character out of 'Mad Men' when I put it on.


8 comments:

  1. Love it! Came over from refashion coop. I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Sharon!!

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the colour change makes it more wearable. Nice transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow shaz absolutely amazing. You did a wonderful job. Love Lilybellexx

    ReplyDelete