The 365 Day Challenge

My goal is to create something every day using something from my craft cupboard. I am a self-confessed fabric addict and just love to fossick through thrift shops and find treasures.

So here goes. Live, love, recycle and get crafting.



Friday, August 10, 2012

Day 144 - Owl top from scraps.


I still had a few tiny scraps left from my Ghanaian pants, and I didn't want to waste this special fabric.

I'll admit it, I'm as sentimental as they come, and a bit of a sook too. I wouldn't have held on to these pants for so many years if they didn't mean a lot to me.

Here are the scraps I had left.


Oddly, this little scrap called out to me. It sounded a little bit like this - 'Hoot, Hoot'. Somehow I knew this meant that the yellow flowers were going to be reincarnated as owls eyes.


So I found a boring grey sweater in my cupboard.


I cut out some pieces for the rest of the owl and decided it needed a branch to sit on.

To make the branch I made my own makeshift screen print using some sheer fabric and an icypole stick to spread the paint. I mixed up some fabric paint and cut out a rough stencil of a branch. Since it was supposed to look like a real branch I didn't mind it looking a little rough around the edges.


Then I sewed my owl pieces on. And of course I added a couple of vintage buttons for eyes. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.



2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's wonderful, really. I love it. You certainly got your money's worth out of those pants. The shoulder bag you made from the material is absolutely gorgous!!! You do such good work, and come up with such great ideas. Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's lovely. Sometimes I make things I'm not sure I like, but all 4 things I made with the pants I love. Great when I can make something good with an item I've held onto for so long.

    ReplyDelete