The 365 Day Challenge

My goal is to create something every day using something from my craft cupboard. I am a self-confessed fabric addict and just love to fossick through thrift shops and find treasures.

So here goes. Live, love, recycle and get crafting.



Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Day 15 - It's all about the button jar

We had so much fun with the button jar the other day that Juliet decided she wanted to make a button necklace with some of the other buttons she liked. It's school holidays and we just loved staying at home today, enjoying the delicious autumn weather and leaving our pj's on. We ended up making many trips to the craft cupboard doing some box painting, colouring in, drawing, cutting, stencilling and beading. It was a very happy day of sunshine and crafting with the kids.

Juliet (my 5 yo) threaded her buttons onto a piece of hat elastic which is really easy to use for kids to thread. She placed a couple of beads between each button to show off the buttons more and to allow them to sit better. Liam (my 7 yo) also made a 'boy band' with buttons he thought looked boyish. If you have little ones who can't thread very well yet like my 2 yo old a great start is to thread beads onto a pipe cleaner as it doesn't bend when they try to thread it.

Craft Cupboard materials

- Reclaimed vintage buttons
- Hat elastic
- Fabric
- Glue

Juliet's creation.




Liam with his wrist band.



I decided to make a brooch and I wanted it to look a bit like a flower so I started off with this kind of wool spun button and added a green button on top with a couple of beads. I just kept expanding on this theme as I really loved the colour of my green button, so, I cut a little square of green vintage fabric from a scrap and a little square from an old doily to put underneath it. To give it enough substance to sit like a brooch I glued it onto one of the giant wooden buttons I had then glued all of this onto a brooch back.

My Creation






 And just thought I'd share some other craft cupboard uses for the day too.




No comments:

Post a Comment