The 365 Day Challenge

My goal is to create something every day using something from my craft cupboard. I am a self-confessed fabric addict and just love to fossick through thrift shops and find treasures.

So here goes. Live, love, recycle and get crafting.



Saturday, April 21, 2012

Day 33 - Curtain Hat - Part 1 of the curtain files


Today was a pretty exciting day. I made my first ever hat, and, I made it without a pattern. I was pretty happy with how it turned out. I think the peak/brim should have been slightly wider but it really did exceed my expectations for a first try. I wanted to make a hat like what old men wear but for a little boy. It feels good to be growing more in confidence with my sewing and experimenting a bit more with new things. Another benefit of my 365 project. I think I'll be trying some more hats in the future.

Here's what I started with:

Vintage curtain - a wool blend. Stay tuned for more ways to use this curtain.



So I made a pattern first, cutting out a brim, a round circle from the top and measured around Aidan's head and added an inch (seam allowance) to cut two strips to go around the head.

Cutting out the pattern and pieces - I used a soft cotton to line the hat in case the curtain was a little itchy.




The inside of the hat - fully lined.



Outside of the hat.



The spunky little dude wearing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment