The 365 Day Challenge

My goal is to create something every day using something from my craft cupboard. I am a self-confessed fabric addict and just love to fossick through thrift shops and find treasures.

So here goes. Live, love, recycle and get crafting.



Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Day 205 - A mixed bag.


Today I had what I consider to be one of my most important sewing tasks ever. Fixing up the very special blankie that belongs to the son of a friend. He was in very bad shape and in need of day surgery, but most definitely needed to be home for bed time. I took one look at him and knew this would be an extremely delicate operation indeed.

Here is what he looked like when he came in for surgery.


I picked him apart and did some darts to the blue silk side which was most important to preserve, trimmed a little and sewed him back together. He is looking a little like a map of Australia now. He's not overly pretty, but his life has now been significantly prolonged and I'm very glad he didn't fall apart under my watch. Hope the little man is happy with the changes.


Both Liam (7) and Aidan (3) are obsessed with superheroes at the moment and Aidan bought this little stuffed toy during the holidays. Stuffing was escaping within hours so he also got a repair today and Aidan was very impressed.




While I was on a roll I thought I would do a couple of super quick refashions so that I can now wear 2 things that have been sitting in my wardrobe unworn for ages. I think it's pretty awesome that these two things can get a new life so easily. The 2 'refashions' together took about 10 minutes.

The first is a maternity top from when I was pregnant with Dylan (now 10 months). It had shirring at the top which just became the waistband when I cut off the shoulder straps. It's a really comfortable skirt for summer.

The second is a dress that used to have a diagonal hemline with elastic. Not really me but I loved the rest of the dress and wore it a couple of times.

I didn't really feel comfortable wearing it for everyday wear so it lived at the back of my closet. I forgot to take a photo before I chopped, but all I did was cut off the elastic bottom and even up the hemline. Now it's totally wearable.




I've had a wonderfully productive day. How about you?


2 comments:

  1. Wow, great job with fixing the blankie. The little boy will be very pleased :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was very happy Agy (phew!)and his Mum sent through an appreciation photo which was very cute.

      Delete