The 365 Day Challenge

My goal is to create something every day using something from my craft cupboard. I am a self-confessed fabric addict and just love to fossick through thrift shops and find treasures.

So here goes. Live, love, recycle and get crafting.



Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Day 211 - Men's Shirt + Doily = Dress


I've had 3 or 4 of my hubby's old shirts hanging about for a while waiting to be refashioned.
Most of them have really trashed collars by the time he parts with them, so I decided to try one of these girls dress refashions today. The collar on the purple one is so bad you couldn't give it an op shop. It would only be a rag.

Old shirts.






First I cut off the sleeves and collar, then cut out a basic shape ( I drew it on first).


Next I sewed up the sides and overlocked the armholes.
I found an old doily, cut it in half, and decided to use it as sleeves. I turned the top over to make an elastic casing for the neckline.

Don't laugh but this is teenage me in my deb dress which was made by my Mum. The dress went all yellow being stored away somewhere but I cut off the rosettes from the shoulders and here are two of them sewn onto the dress. (OK you can laugh if you want to :-))




3 comments:

  1. You're going to show the repurposed shirt/dress on a live model, yes? You came up with a great idea.

    Your mom did a beautiful job on your deb dress!!! Evidently she was quite the seamstress, eh?

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully soon Joyce. My mum is a very crafty lady. She is also an awesome knitter.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I'm really impressed by your Mum's skills making your deb dress!

    ReplyDelete