The 365 Day Challenge

My goal is to create something every day using something from my craft cupboard. I am a self-confessed fabric addict and just love to fossick through thrift shops and find treasures.

So here goes. Live, love, recycle and get crafting.



Thursday, May 10, 2012

Day 52 - Refashion of ladies top to girls wrap skirt



Today is yet another beautiful day. My daughter is home from school again taking it easier and slowly getting back to her old self. I wanted to make something for her this morning because she loves it when I make her things and she really appreciates them.

Due largely to her passion for strawberry shortcake, my daughter has a love of anything that has strawberries on it. With that in mind I purchased this cheap ladies knit top at the op shop a while ago with the idea of making it into a skirt for her. Today is the day!

Here is the top.


Step 1 was to cut off the top section. I wanted to take advantage of the gathering already done around the top and keep that bit, so I just chopped off the top and then made a cut down the side seam.


Although it wasn't my original plan, once I cut the side seam it looked like it would make a really cute wrap skirt.

All I did next was hem the two side seams and wrap it around her for size. Then I sewed up the two points where the wrap crosses over. So it has the look of a wrap skirt, but is easy to slip on and off with the elasticised waist.


I had a little strawberry button that was a spare that came with one of her jumpsuits, so I sewed that on at the wrap edge. It's just for looks. The original top wasn't hemmed at the bottom and I left it that way.


Happy customer!


No comments:

Post a Comment