The 365 Day Challenge

My goal is to create something every day using something from my craft cupboard. I am a self-confessed fabric addict and just love to fossick through thrift shops and find treasures.

So here goes. Live, love, recycle and get crafting.



Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Day 323 - A picture to tell a thousand words.


This is a special picture for Mr Crafty. It's our 10 year wedding anniversary this year. It's not until April, but I will be making him a few things to celebrate and this one came to me so I decided to make it early.

I like the way it has layers and textures, symbolising the many layers and facets of 10 years of marriage.

I began with an old map of the alpine area. This is an area where we went hiking about a month after we met, lugging our heavy packs up the side of a steep mountain, and camping for 2 nights, one of which we awoke to find our tent covered in snow. I glued this map first to a canvas.


Then I photocopied these birds from a skirt I have (also used early in my 365 project to make a card), cut them out and stitched around the birds with some embroidery thread. Mr Crafty is a bird lover. Bird nerd.



Glue went under and over the birds, and then came the next layer, with some help from Frankie magazine. The birds got their colour from the magazine pages.



Ten words popped out at me from an old dictionary, randomly, just thoughts about our marriage.


I added them to my picture. Then some button eyes. The glue is still drying in the picture so it has a little white haze, which will dry clear.


My crafty and the kids made me these fortune cookies this morning. :-) What a beautiful morning it was.


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful. This is so meaningful, personal, individual and priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is just so cool, Sharon. Mr. Crafty is going to absolutely love it, no doubt about it.

    And a dream catcher and fortune cookies...you are truly blessed. Mr. Crafty and the kids are really being creative...you've certainly inspired your whole family.

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole family are on a roll. Liam made me a book today called 'Supermum, love and happiness' which was pretty awesome. I think Mr Crafty will like the picture, and it will bring back some lovely memories.

    ReplyDelete