The 365 Day Challenge

My goal is to create something every day using something from my craft cupboard. I am a self-confessed fabric addict and just love to fossick through thrift shops and find treasures.

So here goes. Live, love, recycle and get crafting.



Thursday, February 21, 2013

Day 339 - Vintage men's shirt + vintage men's tie = girly shirt


Today I was interested in taking two men's items and turning them into something quite feminine. I really enjoyed this refashion a lot, and am happy with the result.

So I started off with this funky vintage op shop tie.


And this vintage shirt my husband bought about 10 years ago for a fancy dress party that was always a bit too small. I didn't let him throw it out because I thought the fabric was awesome. It had these slits at the back.

Ready to go!

First the sleeves got chopped off. Then the top of the shirt and a couple of inches below the collar.


I overlocked the underarm edges and the top edges, then made a folded over the underarms about half a cm to finish them off. Then I made a casing in the top front and back and inserted the tie. This tie was a 70's fat tie so I ended up cutting the fat end off - it was a bit too much but I'm hoping to use it for another project.

I sewed up the slits at the back, crossing over the fabric a little so that I ended up with a more feminine shape.


Once the tie was in I added a large button where I joined the tie ends. Now it's very girly!





2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! Good job, and it certainly looks great on you.

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks heaps! It's such a hot summer here this top might be a bit cooler.

    ReplyDelete